All types of headaches can be painful and annoying. In order to treat them properly and effectively it is important to identify which kind a person suffers from at a given time. There are usually five categories that each will fit into. Here is a look at how headaches are classified and ways to treat them.
Five Varieties Of Headaches
- Tension Headaches: These headaches are quite common and are characterized by pressure on the head or a constant pain. Although they can be bothersome they are not severe enough to hamper a person’s activity. The most common treatment for this pain is an over the counter pain reliever like aspirin Tylenol or ibuprofen. It may also help to massage the muscles in the head or neck as well. Releasing tension in these areas may stop the pain.
- Sinus Headaches: This pain usually occurs when a person has a sinus infection or routine respiratory illness. Many times a person will also experience a fever at the same time. The sinus cavity gets inflamed from an infection. In the end a person can try a decongestant to stop the pain. When the condition persists for longer than two weeks it may be necessary to visit a doctor. At this point antibiotics will most likely be prescribed to eliminate the source of the problem.
- Cluster Headaches: These headaches can be extremely painful and occur in cycles. They can come on suddenly with pain on one side of the head. There is no known cause of this problem but some scientists believe that genetics may be to blame. There are numerous prescription treatments that may help to alleviate the pain. There are also preventative measures to take which can keep attacks to a minimum.
- Rebound Headaches: Rebound headaches will affect a person who has overused painkillers. Taking too much aspirin Motrin Tylenol or other prescription drugs to treat headaches may begin a vicious cycle that is hard to break. It is believed that taking excess medicine excites the brain to the point where more pain is triggered. Other experts believe that rebound headaches are a symptom of withdrawal from the medicine.
- Migraine Headaches: Migraines are one of the most painful varieties of headaches. They are believed to be genetic and follow a few rules. To be defined as a migraine a person must have experienced at least five episodes that last at least four hours apiece. A person feels pain that is so severe that it hampers activities and is accompanied by nausea or sensitivity to sound and light. In severe cases a person will see an aura of light surrounding objects. Recently migraine headaches have become the center of attention of drug companies. They have developed both pain relieving and preventative medicine. Pain relievers are taken after a migraine has already started and aims at stopping the pain. Preventative medicine is usually taken each day to lower the likelihood of an attack.
One of the most common afflictions that people complain about are headaches. These pains are often broken up into five major groups. Each headache has different characteristics and is treated in different ways. Uncovering which kind of pain a person is suffering with will make it easier to effectively treat it. Learning the triggers that bring on a headache will also be helpful. It is vital to note that if a headache comes on suddenly is severe and gets worse it may be wise to seek medical attention to rule out a serious condition. A doctor may be able to recommend the best course of treatment for particular types of headaches as well.