Carcinoma is a cancer that starts out in epithelial tissue. This can be found on the skin or in the lining of the organs. Each type is determined by the location in the body and its severity. Here is a look at various carcinoma forms and the ways that they are treated.
Types of Carcinomas
- Adenocarcinomas: This form of cancer starts in the glands. For instance the breast breast ducts are places where this cancer may form.
- Invasive Carcinomas: These cancer cells are ones that have spread into other body parts beside the original site. This is a common form of breasts cancer.
- Basal Cell Carcinomas: These are the most common forms of cancer on the skin. They grow at a slow rate but can spread to the bones or other tissues.
- Squamous Cell Carcinomas: These are a different form of skin cancer that is more aggressive and likely to spread.
Treatment For Carcinoma
- Surgery: The most usual method to remove cancer is with surgery. Depending on the stage and size a person may need a major or minor procedure. It is likely the most effective way to remove the entire amount of cancer at one time.
- Radiation: This is a popular way to treat skin cancer on the face. The cancer is attacked by high energy beams of radiation which decreases the size of the cancer cells. It directly targets one particular area and brings little negative side effects.
- Freezing: This procedure removes cancer cells with the use of liquid nitrogen. It is a way to get rid of cancer off the skin in a non invasive manner.
- Prescription Creams: There are certain ointments which can kill cancer by cutting off the supply of blood to the area.
- Laser Treatment: This is a new treatment used on skin cancer which utilizes laser radiation to vaporize the harmful cells.
How Cancer Occurs
Cancer is a group of cells with abnormalities that turn into a tumors due to uncontrolled growth. These cells destroy healthy tissue that is all around. Sometimes cancer will stay in one area and other times it will spread to other parts of the body. Cancer is named for the organ tissue where it originates. When cancer strikes early there may be no symptoms or warning signs.
Most Common Types Of Cancer
- Skin Cancer: This cancer affects millions of people each year. Basal cell carcinoma is the most prevalent form. It appears as a raised bump on the skin. It rarely spreads and is easily removed from the skin’s surface. Melanoma is the worst type of skin cancer. It appears as a mole or skin growth which changes in appearance with time. It can spread and is always surgically removed. The best way to avoid this type of cancer is to stay out of the sun and always wear sunscreen for protection.
- Prostate Cancer: This is the second most common form of cancer. Treatment depends on the stage of the cancer at diagnosis. It is usually detected prior to the onset of symptoms.
- Lung Cancer: The most common types of lung cancer are small cell carcinomas. They spread at a rapid pace so they are treated with doses if chemotherapy and radiation. Chemotherapy can cause a person to experience nausea and hair loss.
Cancer is a condition in which certain body cells mutate and reproduce at a rapid rate without dying off. Cancer can affect any part of the body. Early detection is key in order to maintain a successful recovery. When a person suspects that a carcinoma is present it is important to seek immediate medical attention.