Finding a treatment for arthritis pain does not need to be difficult. There are both natural and pharmaceutical ways to help ease the pain. It will be best to consult a doctor to uncover which treatment will work best. Here is a look at the most effective ways to alleviate aches associated with arthritis.
Pharmaceutical Methods Which Treat Arthritis
There are many medicines which are used to treat the pain and symptoms of arthritis. All of them lower inflammation around swollen joints.
- Over The Counter NSAIDs: These are drugs that are sold in most stores and can lower inflammation. There are also a few stronger brands available by prescription. They are often useful but may cause possible side effects including kidney damage ulcers heart attack risk or bleeding in the stomach.
- Corticosteroids: These medicines help to lower inflammation in cases like rheumatoid arthritis. They are normally injected into effected joints or can be taken in the form of a pill. Side effects may include high blood pressure nausea thinning bones or stomach bleeding.
- DMARDs: Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs help in cases of rheumatoid arthritis. On the downside they may lead to liver damage low red blood cell count or lung problems.
- Biologic Medicine: These are the latest drugs that have been developed to treat arthritis and are made with organic molecules. Negative effects include tiredness and high risk for infection.
Natural Ways To Treat Arthritis
Besides using drugs to relieve the pain of arthritis there are natural methods that can be tried:
- Physical Therapy: This can be used to give strength to muscles which support joints that are damaged because of arthritis. Stiffness can be lessened and range of motion can be increased. This type of therapy can help a person walk better climb stairs and get in and out of bed or the tub.
- Occupational Therapy: This technique can teach a person how to cope with pain from arthritis and live a more normal life. It involves training that shows how to protect joints throughout normal activity.
- Heat Therapy: Many times heat is applied to soothe inflammation. However professionals utilize ultrasound or electrical current to get deep into the tissue and kill cells that lead to pain.
- Massage: Since poor circulation can lead to painful joints massage can rub muscles and increase the amount of blood being delivered to ensure less pain.
- TENS Therapy: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation involves the use of tiny pulses of electricity which ease the source of pain. It is most effective for short term relief.
Supplements And Herbs Used As Arthritis Treatments
- Glucosamine: A glucosamine supplement will be able to help repair cartilage that has become damaged. There are no noted side effects associated with this supplement.
- Epsom Salts: This treatment absorbs into the skin and reduces inflammation. When used in a warm bath circulation will increase and swelling will go away.
- Ginger: Some people use ginger to relieve pain and swelling from arthritis. It can be used in recipes or in tea.
Other Ways To Ease Pain From Arthritis
- Weight Management: When a person is overweight the body and joints are under tremendous stress. Losing weight will reduce strain and lower pain.
- Exercise: Low impact exercise like swimming is a good way to build muscle strength and flexibility.
- Chiropractic Care: Visiting a chiropractor for an adjustment may help to relieve stiffness and pain.
When a person suffers with arthritis pain it is necessary to uncover the best treatment. There are both pharmaceutical and natural methods of alleviating arthritis pain and stiffness. Speaking with a doctor will be helpful. This professional will be able to discuss all of the available options and can recommend which treatment for arthritis will work best.