Different types of arthritis strike millions of Americans each year. It is a painful condition with no known cure. Arthritis occurs as joints become inflamed. When inflammation lasts a long time tissue can become damaged. Various body parts become affected by different forms of arthritis. Here is a look at the most common types and ways to prevent pain.
- Osteoarthritis: This is the most common kind of arthritis. It comes about as the cartilage surrounding the ends of the bones erode. When cartilage no longer exists the bones start to rub against each other and create friction. This action leads to swelling and pain. This arthritis may show up in any of the body’s joints but commonly hits the hands knees hips or spine. The main cause of osteoarthritis is overuse of joints or the natural aging process.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: One of the most painful forms of arthritis is rheumatoid arthritis. It usually affects the hands and knees. It is a condition which involves the immune system. The body’s immunity normally fights against disease and foreign invaders. With rheumatoid arthritis the body attacks itself which leads to the swelling of the joints and surrounding tissue. Bone and cartilage may become damaged as well.
- Gout: This form of arthritis occurs as urate crystals accumulate in the joints due to improper excretion of uric acid. These crystals feel like broken glass rubbing against the joints. Pain from gout usually appears in the toes knees or wrists.
- Lupus Arthritis: This condition is also immune related. The immune system attacks the joints and commonly affects he wrists hands or knees.
Causes Of Arthritis
There are multiple items which may lead to this condition. Some scientists believe that it is hereditary while others believe that lifestyle habits may contribute to it. There are common risk factors which may increase the likelihood of developing the disorder.
- Sex: It is a fact that more women suffer from arthritis pain than men.
- Age: It is common for arthritis to affect individuals who are past a certain age. Most seniors will suffer from some kind of arthritis at one point or another.
- Weight: When a person is overweight more stress is placed on the joints. This causes more wear and tear that leads to arthritis.
- Activity: When a person repeatedly moves in a certain way or must lift heavy items throughout the day joints may be overworked or injured. This leads to the possibility of developing certain kinds of arthritis.
How To Prevent Arthritis
Even though there is not one set way to prevent this condition there are certain ways to lower the chances of suffering damage.
- Exercise: Learning ways to build muscle strength and increasing flexibility will keep joints healthy.
- Weight: Uncovering and maintaining a good weight will help to keep stress away from joints.
- Diet: Eating a well balanced diet will help to keep bones strong and muscles conditioned.
Treatments For Arthritis
There is no cure for arthritis but there are ways to find relief from pain. Over the counter medicine can be used to cut inflammation. Low impact exercise like swimming may strengthen joints. The use of heat or ice may control swelling as well. If severe pain persists it may be necessary for more radical treatment such as surgery.
When a person feels pain in the joints it is most likely caused by some form of arthritis. This condition can be brought by various items. It is possible to prevent the problem by following a few tips. In the end different types of arthritis will respond better to certain treatment than others.