Severe acne can ruin a person’s self esteem as it detracts from the appearance. Acne is quite common and can be a problem for adults as well as teenagers. Bad acne breakouts may develop into deep and painful cysts that accompany inflammation. It can lead to permanent scarring. When it strikes it is important to understand what causes it and how to treat it.
Causes Of Acne Cysts
The basis of cystic acne is the same for regular acne. It occurs as sebaceous glands make too much oil. This oil usually joins with dead skin cells and leads to clogged pores. When pores become blocked there is no way for waste to be released and acne forms. Acne that is severe can also be caused by the bacteria that is present on the skin. When a typical blemish becomes inflamed the wall of the follicle erupts and the infection becomes embedded int he skin. The depth of the infection will determine how bad the blemish will become. Cystic acne usually occurs deep in the skin.
Medical Treatments For Severe Acne
When acne becomes severe it may be wise to seek the attention of a dermatologist who can prescribe certain medication to treat the problem.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics are often prescribed to treat infections brought on by deep acne. It is important to understand that even though they will take care of the present problem these treatments will not prevent future breakouts. They may also cause dangerous side effects in the body.
- Retinoids: These are topical treatments that encourage new cell growth and prevent old cells from accumulating. There are certain negative side effects that come with using retinoids including hair loss dry skin and muscle pain. They are also known to cause birth defects in pregnant women.
- Surgery: When acne is severe surgical intervention may be necessary to drain pus from the area. It is usually the last recourse for acne treatment but is effective at solving the problem.
Natural Ways To Treat Acne That Is Troublesome
Instead of using medicine to treat acne there are certain natural treatments that bring less side effects on health.
- Coconut Oil: Applying coconut oil to the affected area will act as an antibiotic which controls the outbreak. It will kill bacteria without causing the skin to become overly dry.
- Tea Tree Oil: Applying tea tree oil has been known to lower the likelihood of bad acne outbreaks. It includes antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Green Tea: Drinking green tea helps to decrease redness and inflammation that comes with bad acne.
Ways To Prevent Cystic Acne
- Lower Stress: Stress has an effect on how much oil is produced in the skin. Lower stress levels mean lower sebum levels. This will result in a lower chance of developing acne. To destress a person can try deep breathing techniques meditation or yoga.
- Keeping Hair Away: It is important to keep hair and hands away from the face at all times. Oil from the hands or hair may spread to the face and lead to acne breakouts.
- Diet: A person’s diet will have a large impact on acne. It is important to eat an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. It may also be wise to limit dairy and foods high in fat.
Acne is very common. It usually begins during puberty when hormones are raging. This condition can spread into adulthood and lead to low self esteem. At times the acne may be severe and lead to deep and painful bumps. When this occurs it is best to seek the help of a dermatologist. This professional will be able to recommend the best course and treatment for severe acne without leaving scars behind.